The Strategic Sales Engineer will work directly with account executives to evaluate technical needs and develop sales strategies, technical presentations, technical demonstrations of core products, provide RFP/RFI technical response, proposal design and validation, technical account leadership, proof of concept/proof of technology definition and management. The Strategic Sales Engineer will also be brought into complex sales cycles to assist other Sales Engineers.
- The ideal candidate must possess a high energy level, positive attitude and the ability to work with and understand the needs of senior level executives within potential customers, under a variety of circumstances.
- The individual must also be a self-starter with strong problem solving skills. The incumbent will work in a dynamic environment that requires significant coordination and teamwork and must take pride in assisting the sales force in conducting well orchestrated sales campaigns.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – both verbal and written, excellent high level and detailed solution design skills, the ability to “think on your feet” are a must. Experience in Enterprise IT project management, consulting and implementation is encouraged to support the sales efforts.
- Manage the technical element of selected customer/business partner sales cycles:
- Work with the Account Executive to construct opportunity plans and solution propositions
- Reduce/eliminate technical obstacles to winning the technical recommendation.
- Ongoing technical qualification of opportunities
- Technical and competitive positioning of proposed solution
- Provide proof/reference points that proposed solutions are architecturally sound, and operationally manageable for the customer
- Assist other Sales Engineers on more complex supply chain discovery and solution design
- Develop and present product and services presentations and demonstrations
- Solution design and footprint creation
- Provide technical expertise and leadership for written RFPs, proposals, phone calls, technical briefings, and demonstrations.
- Be articulate, poised and professional in all forms of communications (face-to-face, written, email, and phone)
- Provide prospect/customer feedback to product and technology teams
- Keep up to date on product functionality/features, product positioning, competition, and general business environment.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree required or combination of education and equivalent relevant experience (Computer Science and/or Business preferred)
- 4+ years experience implementing/selling solutions or project management and demo skills are required. EDI system knowledge or demo skills also a plus.
- 5+ years of sales support ("pre-sales"), solution architecture and/or consulting experience required.
- 2+ years experience managing/leading large software integration projects
- Ability to respond to random/ad hoc questions and issues expediently and to effectively “think on your feet”
- Ability to use expertise on retail supply chain markets and products and be able to articulate the value of SPS products to prospects
- Ability to step into and out of complex supply chain sales cycles and have a high impact while providing credibility
- Ability to work and succeed in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Willingness and ability to mentor and train new and less experienced Sales Engineers
- Ability and willingness to travel as required (<25% projected)