SPS Commerce continues to grow, and we are hiring a Lead Software Engineer to lead a team of software engineering professionals, all working in concert to deliver in-aisle ordering capabilities within small and independent retail stores. This role will focus on our Community In Aisle product, which provides order management solutions to retailers, suppliers and brokers to order from multiple vendors quickly and easily from a platform, saving them time, and allowing them to focus on the consumer experience. Lead the team to build out these web applications along with the data integration practices needed to deliver this unique experience that will scale to be used in various verticals.
Does this sound like you?
- You have a Succeed Together mentality and consistently Get After It.
- You enjoy leading and mentoring passionate engineers in development practices.
- You are a clear communicator of project plans, and enjoy designing technical solutions, and decomposing work into manageable pieces.
- You feel rewarded by helping others grow their skills and succeed.
- You believe in building a strong culture of teamwork, operational excellence, and continuous improvement.
- You are a strong collaborator working across departments to solve problems
We solve retail supply chain problems by cutting through inefficiency with innovation and automation. At SPS we empower retailers, suppliers, distributors, grocers and logistics partners to work better together with our people, our process and our tech products. We have the world’s largest retail network, and we don’t just lead the industry, we are the industry.
At SPS, we believe every employee makes a difference. We ensure employees have the tools, resources and training to explore new ideas and execute them. Our success comes from playing as a team and always playing to win. Careers don’t just grow here, they’re made here.
Day to Day
The Lead Software Engineer is the go-to person for domain considerations, thus providing long-term solutions to technical problems and are subject matter experts. This person will collaborate with stakeholders inside and outside their team. The Lead Software Engineer will work with engineers and leaders of other teams to develop and share best practices. The Lead Software Engineer is responsible for delivering planned work, ensuring quality solutions built, and the smooth operation and runtime of those solutions. This role will balance their focus between individual work and team leadership, engaging the team as a peer mentor to drive high performance.
- Identify and articulate scalable engineering solutions to business problems
- Coordinate and orchestrate work across the engineering team
- Promote engineering best practices within team and across teams
- Mentor other team members for growth of skills and engagement
- Participate in interviews and hiring decisions
- Monitor the operational health of application, system, service, and domains
- Perform code and architectural reviews
- Create and proactively communicate iterative project plans of solutions, decomposing projects into manageable tasks
- Lead team members to deliver results
- Work collaboratively with your team to design, architect, build and test solutions to solve complex problems.
- Mentor your team in technical skills through code reviews, pull requests, monitoring for best practices, and providing feedback on soft skills.
- Work closely with product owners on upcoming projects to clarify and structure work for successful delivery.
- Plan how your code will be monitored, and respond to alerts to minimize outages and keep your products running smoothly.
- Build services and components upon the latest frameworks, platforms, and service providers.
- Partner with experts in specialized areas like usability, cloud automation, and service reliability in a technically complex environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree plus 8 years of relevant experience; a Master’s degree plus 6 years of relevant experience; a PhD plus 3 years of relevant experience; or equivalent education and work experience
- Knowledge of the PDLC/SDLC, cloud and distributed architectures
- Experience operating at multiple layers of the technology stack
- Clear ability to rationalize decision making and communicate across audiences both verbally and written
- Ability to work collaboratively with engineers of various skill levels and technical abilities
- Experience with an Agile working environment (stand-ups, planning, and other agile activities)
- Experience with Angular, React or other modern web application frameworks using TypeScript
- Experience building and designing service APIs in languages like C#, Python, Java, Node.js or similar languages
- Experience working with database technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server and AWS DynamoDB
- Ability to balance multiple tasks concurrently
SPS Commerce offers a comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, paid time-off, 401(k), health and flexible spending accounts, stock purchase plan and more.
EOE including disability/ veteran