As our growth trajectory continues, SPS Commerce is seeking a Senior Product Marketing Manager to develop the positioning, value propositions, and messaging strategy for our B2B products and customer experiences. This role ideal for an individual who understands how to lead with the customer and seeks to first understand and then help define their business problems and needs as the foundation to all messaging.
Based in our office in downtown Minneapolis, our hybrid work model provides the best of both worlds. We #succeedtogether through in person collaboration, balanced with remote work to provide balance and flexibility. Although the in-office expectation is limited, we do get together once per month for a team collaboration session and on occasion for other meetings where being in person will add value.
Does this sound like you?
- You can foster and rely on close partnerships across product management, customer success, sales, billing, and technology to help inform the roadmap and strategies with measurable impact and alignment to SPS business goals.
- You have a customer-first mindset and the passion to be the customer’s voice within the walls of SPS Commerce.
- Ability to develop messaging based on understanding of the buyer persona to drive demand from our various channels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a learner mindset are some of your strongest attributes.
We solve retail supply chain problems by cutting through inefficiency with innovation and automation. At SPS we empower retailers, suppliers, distributors, grocers, and logistics partners to work better together with our people, our process and our tech products. We have the world’s largest retail network, and we don’t just lead the industry, we are the industry.
At SPS, we believe every employee makes a difference. We ensure employees have the tools, resources, and training to explore new ideas and execute them. Our success comes from playing as a team and always playing to win. Careers don’t just grow here, they’re made here.
Day to Day
The Sr. Product Marketing Manager collaborates across the organization to gather customer insights to guide messaging and collect feedback on existing messaging to refine and optimize the story we tell prospects and customers. The person in this role needs to be a strong collaborator, be curious and forward thinking to continue to evolve our messaging, have experience building compelling stories from a customer perspective, and be able to present messaging rationale in a thoughtful and convincing manner. The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties as you see fit.
- Be the expert on our buyers, who are they, how they buy, their business problems and needs and their key buying criteria.
- Understand the competitive landscape—be an expert on our competition and how they are positioned to ensure differentiation in our messaging.
- Collaborate with business development, product management and marketing to gather the information and insights needed to develop product positioning and messaging that resonate with our target buyer personas.
- Present recommended positioning to key stakeholders and executive leadership to gain alignment and consensus.
- Consult with key stakeholders across the organization including Sales and Customer Success to gather customer insights, messaging feedback and insights into level of effectiveness.
- Work closely with creative
- Develop internal and external facing pitch presentations that clearly articulate our story and provide a compelling case to buy.
- Understand and document our buyer’s process, including where they get information, and the who, what, when and why behind the decisions they make. Then drive changes to our sales and marketing processes based on what you learn.
- Develop a marketing plan for assigned customer in conjunction with our marketing team, including key activities and budgets to support the retention of existing customers and the acquisition of new customers.
- Assess the effectiveness of the messaging based on performance of marketing programs as well as based on feedback from key stakeholders mentioned above.
- Understand and support our sales channels; train them on the problems we solve for our buyers and users; develop internal tools and external collateral and teach them how and when to use it
Required Experience/ Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing and 5 years of related experience or 8 years of experience without a degree.
- 5 years of product marketing experience with 2 years of experience in a market-facing role (e.g., delivering presentations to prospects, conducting competitor analysis and market research)
- Experience in a customer centric marketing organization with experience identifying business problems and needs to drive messaging and marketing initiatives.
- Experience facilitating collaboration sessions to peers as well as senior leadership to gain alignment or gather information.
- Ability to create and tell a compelling story – either to gain alignment on recommended messaging strategy and build the market facing pitch presentation.
- Proven ability to lead and drive the adoption of messaging in an organization.
- Experience working with a sales team.
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties.
- Experience creating marketing and communication plans and associated content architecture.
- Self-starter, curious, and interested in the opportunity to continuously learn and grow.
- Ability to build test and measurement plans to prove what is –or isn’t—working.
- Proficient in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Confluence, Miro
- Experience using collaboration and CRM tools such as Slack and Salesforce
- 5+ years of B2B marketing experience
- Familiar with marketing automation tools such as Marketo, Pardot and Omniture, and Google Analytics.
SPS Commerce offers a comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, paid time-off, 401(k), health and flexible spending accounts, stock purchase plan and more.
EOE including disability/veteran